Welcome to Catherine Harrison as New Clerk




The Parish Council is delighted to welcome Catherine Harrison as the new Parish Council Clerk. Catherine will be starting work on Monday 16th September.


From that date all formal communication with the PC should go through the Clerk. Catherine can be contacted on ridingmillclerk@gmail.com or at 10 Church Close, Riding Mill, Northumberland, NE44 6DP.  Where possible please give the new Clerk some time and space to organise materials and settle into the post.


The lead Councillors dealing with particular areas are as set out in the minutes of the May 2013 meeting posted above (with the exception of former Cllr Howe). Parish Councillors may be consulted individually on an informal basis.




Malcolm Reid,  Chairman                         14th September 2013

Local Transport Plan – Views sought by Friday 27th September

The Parish Council will put forward three proposals for the Local Transport Plan to be developed by Northumberland County Council. Comments are welcome on the following together with new suggestions by Friday 27th September..


1 “Gated” entrance to the village

2 A 20 mph speed limit through the village

3 Pedestrian Crossing near to the Wellington

4 Footpath, including safe cycle route, along the road to the west of the village to join up with the one at Farnley & on to Corbridge

5 Changes to road layout on A68 at junction with roads to Broomley & Healey i.e. at the top of the hill

6 Safe Cycle route to Stocksfield

7 Resurfacing the footpath at the west end of village between the row of cottages containing the Old Post Office and Riding Grange

8 Repair of the footpath from the Slaley Road grid ref. 005615 to the “Blue Bridge” and ford on the March Burn

Parish Council Minutes – March 2013

Broomhaugh & Riding Parish Council

Minutes of the Council meeting of 11th March 2013 held in the Parish Hall at 7.45pm

Present: Cllrs Mills (in the Chair), Carew, Howe, Reid, Dunhill, Singer and Sehgal. County Cllr Dale and 5 members of the public (including 2 from the Tennis Club) were present.

  1. Apologies: None
  2.  Declarations of interest: None
  3. Minutes of the meeting of 11th February 2013 were agreed as a true record, subject to 15 minor amendments.
  4. Matters arising:

a)      Trees: A price of £230 to remove 2 trees and a dead tree at the Tennis Club was agreed. It was also agreed to put a small piece of fencing behind the removed trees at Church Close to secure the adjacent garden.

b)      Tennis Club Plans: The Club were waiting on tender details for the proposed work after which a detailed costed plan would be put to the Parish Council.

c)      Speed signs: The wrong parts, which had been in place since the signs had been installed, had been replaced. Swarco would be asked to extend their warranty. MA

d)      Annual Parish Meeting:  Tuesday, 23rd April, Tuesday in the Millennium Hall was chosen to fit in with room availability.                                                                          MA

e)      Moles in Play Park: the mole catcher initially asked to do the work had been unavailable. Alternate names were being looked at. Cllr Dale offered to help with this as well.                                                                                                                                         MA/ADe

f)       Parish Plan review: The working party had concentrated on the response to the NCC’s Sore Strategy Preferred options consultation so no further progress had been made on the Parish Plan.

g)      Handyman’ payment: this had been changed to a standing order.

5.    Handyman report: The price for another bench below Bobby’s identical to the existing one was £500 from Jackson’s with £220 for fixing plus bolts. Cllr Carew asked that no further donations of benches be made without a maintenance fund. The ownership of the fence and wall in Dene Close and of the fence on the road to the station was discussed as repairs were needed to both. It was agreed to make enquiries including ownership of the land behind the Wellington.           MA/Ade

Quotes had been obtained for repairing the Spinney wall:  £740 if done before Easter; £320 for the station wall if only part was done but £1050 to repair the whole length – and fill in three holes.

A sewage leak from the manhole near the Tennis Courts had been reported; and the surface  of Millfield Road had been damaged when the lampposts had been painted. Cllr Dale agreed to look into both matters.                                                                                                               ADe

6. Core Strategy review: The response had been prepared by the working group who were congratulated on the paper produced. Subject to several minor amendments to be sent to Cllr Dunhill as soon as possible, the Clerk would post the response by the required date.          AD/MA

7. Protecting Council Reserves: The County Council had been unable to advise on this. It was agreed to look at suitable instant access accounts with the Cooperative Bank.                        MA

8. Allotments: A suggestion to use the football part of the Sports Field for allotments would be referred to the Parish Plan review when the village would be invited to give an indication of need.

9. Path between Broomhaugh and the station: Cllr Dale had received a complaint about the surface of this but the County Council’s Footpath Officer had inspected it and decided there was no significant problem.

10. Planning:

Considered by Northumberland County Council and granted permission:

13/00228/FUL             Extension at Burnview, Broomhaugh

11. Finances: a) the financial statement for February was accepted. Having reviewed the budget figures to the year end, it was agreed there were sufficient funds to repair the walls in the Spinney and at Dene Close. Cllr Howe agreed to give the contractor details for a lime based mortar mix.                                                                                                                                                 PH

b) the following payments were authorised:

Homevend/30                                                                         75.00

NCC/Work on Nick                                                                  4882.80

MFAnderton, salary/Feb.                                                        433.64

Northumbrian Water                                                              10.48

Communicorp (subs. for Clerks & Councils Direct)                12.00

12. Minor Matters:

a) Election forms were distributed to Councillors.

b) Footpath 16: the poor condition of the footpath from Broomhaugh to Roe House was raised again and Cllr Dale would be informed.                                                 MA


The meeting closed at 10.05pm





Jumble Sale – saturday 5th

This event will take place on Saturday 5th October and will be held in the Parish Hall. Any donations can be handed in at the Parish hall any Monday or Friday( while the Coffee Shop is open between 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.) or on Friday 4th ) October between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. or on the morning of the sale itself from 9 a.m.

The sale itself starts at 1:30 p.m.

Riding Mill Village Show

The Riding Mill Village Show shall be held on the 7th September and is open to all whether you are taking part in the competitions or not.

The show shall follow the usual format with Craft, Industrial, Horticultural and Photographic competitions for adult and various different classes for kids.

Schedules are available to collect from the Parish Hall or from Bobby’s shop.  it would be best if you brought your entries between 9 a.m. and             11 a.m. The judging will then take place between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.

The main show shall open to all at 1 p.m. and admission is just £1 per person while accompanying under 16’s are free. There is will also be a car boot sale on at the same time as this which will cost £10 to rent your space.

The Prize winners for the competitions above will be announced at 4 p.m.

Note: help will be needed erecting the tents the night before and dismantling everything afterwards so the more people who turn up to help out the better.


Parish Council Minutes – May 2013

The next Parish Council meeting will be on Monday 8th September. These Minutes also give the dates for all meetings up to May 2014.


Broomhaugh & Riding Parish Council

Minutes of the Meeting and Annual Meeting of the above Parish Council, held on Monday, 13th May 2013 in the Parish Hall at 7.45 pm

Present: Cllrs Mills (in the Chair for items 1 to the beginning of 5), Reid (in the Chair for items 5 onwards), Dunhill, Howe, Carew and Singer. County Cllr Dale was present only before the meeting. 7 members of the public were in attendance including 3 from the Tennis Club.

  1. Declarations of acceptance: All councillors signed the forms of acceptance
  2. Apologies: None
  3. Thanks to retiring Councillor: The council was grateful to Lucy Sehgal for her time.
  4. Approval of Standing Orders: It was agreed to approve these.
  5. Elections: Chair: It was agreed to elect Cllr Reid as Chairman;

It was agreed to elect Cllr Howe as Vice Chair;

The Chairman proposed to delegate to Councillors the Chairman’s authority to take decisions in their respective areas subject to the usual confirmation at the next Parish Council meeting, and this was agreed as follows:

VHT representative – Cllr Carew

Parish Plan review – Working group Cllr Dunhill

Planning Sub Committee– Cllrs Dunhill, Howe and Singer

Website monitoring – Cllr Dunhill

Legal/FOI matters – Cllr Mills

Appraisals – Cllrs Carew and Singer

Handyman/Amenity matters/Playpark inspections – Cllr Dunhill

Minutes – Chairman of the meeting

Accounts – Cllr Howe

  1. Declarations of interest: None
  2. Minutes of 23rd April 2013: These were agreed as a true record
  3. Matters arising – a) Changing bank accounts: it was agreed to defer a decision and consider splitting the reserve between 2 or more banks.

b) Flashing speed signs: It was noted these were working correctly and the warranty had been extended until the end of March 2014. The Clerk would write to Swarco concerning reducing the trigger speed to 30mph.                                                MA

c) Moles: it was agreed to find a suitable person for mole catching.           MA

9.  Handyman report: The monthly report was noted. It was agreed to accept a quote of £190 for making a gap in the wall on Dene Terrace. £320 has already been agreed for repointing the rest of the wall. The Parish Council indicated it would listen to a request for an increase in payment if it was needed.

10. Tennis Club Plans: The update report was noted. The Parish Council agreed to let the club modify the back of the in-goal area on the single court by extending into the Council’s land. It was agreed to ask Wardhadaway to renew the lease and remove the final clause on reinstatement subject to legal advice.                                                                 MA

11. Parish Plan review: The Working Group had met and would prepare a report for the Council in the near future.

12. Walls: Covered by item (9) above.

13. Storage for VHT: It was noted the VHT intended to extend the Hall to make increased storage space.

14. Bus shelter: an updated quote had been received from the County Council for the work. An alternative style of shelter had been suggested. The Clerk would explore the option before work is begun.                                                                                    MA/EC

15: Dates of Council meetings: It was agreed to hold Council meetings for the next year on the second Monday of June, July, September, November, December for 2013 and February and March for 2014. The APM for 2014 would be held provisionally on the same day as the PC meeting in May 2014.

16. Planning: The following applications had been considered by Northumberland County Council and granted permission:

13/00323/VARYCO     Parish Hall Car Park sign

13/00493/FUL             Conservatory at 5 Oaklands

13/006660/PRUTPO    Tree prune at 8 Meadow Park

It was agreed temporarily to tape over the part of the car park sign related to flooding and order a new sign with the correct wording.                                                               PH/MA

17. Finance:

a) It was agreed to accept the receipts and finance report, including that; the Clerk was testing a new accounts system and would report back.                                                       MA

b) The following payments were authorised:

Grant to VHT for 2013/14 (s. 137)                                          2000.00

Homevend/32                                                                             75.00

Dennis Castelow (repair to weir bench)                                     30.00

Viking/paper/toner cartridge                                                     70.51

SLC/training course                                                                   90.00

PB Basnett (internal auditor)                                                  157.50

Aon Insurance (annual premium)                                           2782.92

Gordon Dodds, repointing wall in Spinney                             770.00

Gordon Dodds, pointing of wall at Dene Terrace                  760.00

Dodwell Bros. Ltd; release of retention                                 276.92

MFAnderton/Salary April                                                        433.64

MFAnderton, expenses re training course                             199.75

NALC – annual subs.                                                               172.20

It was agreed not to accept a 5% reduction on the insurance premium for committing to three years.

c) Assets register: The Assets Register was noted. It was agreed to clarify the lists further for Councillors                                                                                                                        MA

d) Risk Assessment: this was accepted by councillors. It was agreed to amend the banking risk from L (low risk) to M (medium risk).

e) The Governance Statement on the annual return – It was approved.

f) 2012/13 annual Accounts and Annual Return: These were approved

18. Minor matters: The Clerk would draw the attention of Network Rail to apparent incomplete work on the station bridge refurbishment and that trees were growing round their electricity cables.

The meeting closed at 10.00


19. Confidential Matters: Pursuant to section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 it is resolved that, because of the confidential nature of the business to be transacted, the public and press leave the meeting during consideration of these items( to discuss the Clerk’s terms and conditions).

Date of next meeting: Monday 10th June 2013.