Churches in Broomhaugh and Riding Mill

St James Church

 

Anglican Church, St James Parish Church, Church Lane, Riding Mill – 01434 682120

Methodist Church, Broomhaugh. Minister Rev Marie Beard – 01434 634547 Email: marielbeard@btinternet.com

Roman Catholic Church, Minsteracres – 01434 673248

Baptist Church, Main Road, Stocksfield – 01661 852388 (Church Secretary)

The Religious Society of Friends, The Quaker Meeting House, Main Road, Stocksfield. Clerk to the Meeting: Roberta Ritson – 01661 852104

United Reform Church, Hexham – 01434 605837

Minsteracres

 

St James Parish Church, Church Lane, Riding Mill

St James Church

St James Church

Priest in charge:

The Rev Canon Alison White – 01434 682120

Curate: The Revd George Proud
Readers: Mrs Dorothy Dryden, Mrs Yvonne Greener, Mr Peter Ryder
Reader Emeritus: Mrs Cynthia Wood
Churchwardens: Mrs Lynda Padgett, Mr Sandy Gardner

St James Church website.

Sunday Services
8.00 am Holy Communion
10.00 am Parish Eucharist (coffee afterwards in the Church Cottage or Millennium Hall)
Weekday Services
Wednesday 9.30 am Holy Communion

 

Mid-week study group
Alternate Tuesdays at 7.30 pm at Holly House, Sandy Bank. Contact for further details: Pam Pritchard 01434 682684. Anyone who attends St James Church is welcome to come to the group at any time – no need to arrange to come or to reserve a place.

Sunday School
Creche facilities and Sunday School (Year 1 upwards) are provided each week during term time. Whether you live in Riding Mill and might want to join us every week, or you are visiting the area and would like to be with children of a similar age, you will be made most welcome. For more information, see contact details.

Choir
The choir leads singing every week in the Parish Eucharist. New members would be very welcome. If you are interested, contact the choirmaster.

St James Fair Trade
On each first Sunday of the month, Fair Trade coffee and biscuits and Traidcraft catalogues are available in the Millennium Hall at 1115 am (after the 10 am service). This is open to all (irrespective of whether you have attended the service), and orders can be placed on a monthly basis, saving postage costs on any items from the Traidcraft catalogue. Contact Elaine Ryder 01434 682644

Community and Environment Prayer Walk
Laminated sheets describing variations on a walk around Riding Mill, starting and ending at the church and providing focal points for prayer and reflection about the community and the environment, are now available by the font at the back of St James church, to be borrowed at any time that the church is open.

 

St James Church – Contacts
Role Name Contact details
Priest-in-charge Rev Canon Alison White 01434 682120
Sunday School Mrs Paula Stienlet 01434 632053
Choir Mr Michael Pritchard 01434 682684
Organist (first contact) Mr Marc Bryant 01434 682630
Stewardship Secretary Mr Eddie Magee 01434 682088
Church Flower coordinator Mrs Susan Law 01434 682397
PCC Secretary and Church Cottage bookings Mrs Elaine Ryder 01434 682644
Churchwardens Mrs Lynda Padgett
Mr Sandy Gardner
01661 886785
01434 682005

 

[learn_more caption=”Contact Canon White”] [contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"][/learn_more]

 

See also: History of the Church

 

History of St. James Church

St James Church

St James Church

A History of the Church and the building.

When St James Chapel of Ease was built on land gifted by Joseph Wilson to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1858, it consisted of the nave with apsidal chancel, spire porch and vestry. It was designed by Matthew Thompson of Newcastle upon Tyne, built by J D Thompson at a cost of approximately £900 and was consecrated by the Rt. Revd. The Bishop of Durham, Dr Langley on April 22nd, 1858.

Within two decades, the nave was lengthened, the chancel made longer and enlarged with a new transept added at a cost exceeding £1,000. This extended building was re-opened for worship in August 1878.

A new vestry appeal was launched by Revd. W. J.Hinkley in 1962 and this addition was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Newcastle, the Rt. Revd. Hugh Ashdown on Sunday, 8th December 1963.

Until 1975 St James was a Chapel of Ease for St Andrew, Bywell and it was only when that church was made redundant, that St James became the Parish Church of Riding Mill.

Behind the altar is a beautiful reredos made in 1900 by J Powell & Sons of London which was designed by Ada Carry. The five stained glass windows in the Sanctuary are by Shrigley & Hunt, the artist being Karl Almquist, whilst the small window in the South side of the chancel is by Waites of Newcastle, donated as were the altar rails and the East windows.
“The light of the World” window in the South transept is by Atkinson of Newcastle, whilst the most recent window dedicated to St Luke was designed and made by Andrew Taylor in 2006.

Powell & Sons made all the early 20th Century windows in the nave and E. Evett those in the Baptistry.

These colourful memorials dedicated to those who have worshipped here in the past, lend a sense of calm and serenity to this well loved church, which is usually open between 9am and 5pm each day.

See also: St James Church